the r word, slowly but surely becoming less frowned upon and by r word, i mean renting.
why is it that as soon as anyone mentions renting a property the first response is “why would you do that?!” then you get the lecture about paying someone else’s mortgage. but the reality is that not everyone is in a position to purchase a home and for whatever reasons, may not be able to stay at home and save those pennys.
moving out, be it with a partner, with friends, or even on your own is a right of passage as a twenty something so should it be discouraged just because renting is not seen as kosher?
the world has changed a lot since our parents, & our parents parents were running around the place – both good & bad but it is what it is. coming from a european family i hear the story all the time about how each child lived at home for a year or two with their new wife or husband until they bought a house – somehow i don’t think that suggestion would go down so well nowadays
what’s ironic is investing is encouraged and supported by our government and society, yet renting – the people relied upon are being discouraged from doing so.
next time someone mentions renting, remember this:
- there are personal factors that can motivate someone to decide to rent
- they may be moving in with a partner who they have never lived with before
- they are new to town and want to work out which areas they like best
- getting together a deposit may in fact be very difficult for them
- or simply, they just like the freedom to move